Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Welcome to live-animation dot blogspot


A few weeks ago I was fortunate enough to commence the FTI (Film and Television Institute) Animation Diploma course under the able tutalege of Daniel Kristjansson (forever Svenka thanks to JH) with Ebbie Williams (professional development and training co-ordinator) and Tanya Beeson (production animator and lecturer).
There are many people to mention, actually. FTI seems to be a a bit of a hive of activity, acting as a generator of talent and projects and also a nexus point for networkers and industry connections. That's how it seems to me, anyway.

Phil and Angie also rate a mention in the first two paragraphs. Phil quizzed us on our FTI knowledge. (FTI teaches film, documentary, animation and (as of last year) screen-acting as well as seeding the Making Movies Roadshow  and a bevy of other projects). Phil gave us our OHMS - I mean OHS -lesson from which I am still compiling notes. Angie also left me with notes after INDUSTRY (a suitably impressive word in caps). INDUSTRY is the genesis of this 'ere live-animation dot blogspot. This, my friends, is Ushan Boyd's effort.

So lets talk INDUSTRY.

Yesterday FTI held its 2010 AGM. The required quorum of 20 was met by by a half a dozen or so.
Helen received all the guests in the office and we signed the guest list (quorum register?), we were given the important-financial-member-white-vote-card and the green sheet which was the voting for 3 board members (CJ, CR & MT). Laughter tinkled through the doors as people took their seats. I later though this may have been (re-elected board-member) MT's laugh, but have no way yet of being totally sure as I didn't manage to actually get an audio recording and so have a wave file for comparison.

Chair Lisa Braddock commenced the meeting at 7:05pm, April 14th 2010. Minutes were taken by Murray-the-Legend. (As a volunteer secretary myself I believe this a virtuous and noble title) At 7:08 Lisa mentioned we were well on the way for the fastest meeting ever as we had moved, seconded, voted and upheld the first 1/2 of the agenda.

I had taken notes, but the imperfect demon machine iPhone crashed the app without saving. I never would have believed I would leave the house without pen on such a regular basis. I think it is something I might need to address.

Grahame Sward, FTI's esteemed CEO, spoke for precisely 10 minutes. The main gist of what I learned was that 2009 was huge, not the least because of a triennial 3 way agreement between FTI, Screen West and Screen Australia. The big 3-3. It is viewed as a Good Thing. (I was kind of hoping for another 3 in there for a nice symmetry. Odd, you know. 3-3-3. Nice ring, but tricky.) The Good Thing took lots of hard work and is deemed to reap more Good Things in the future.

He also mentioned that FTI came through in the black last year. I'm aware that anyone could have read that in the report, but actually I just left the book till later and let GS tell me the cool bits. In the black, to the tune of $28K (or so). Thats good. Then he said something which I heard reference to time and again throughout the evening. He thanked the staff for their commitments and their efforts. Other people also mentioned that the staff are really dedicated. GS also thanked the sponsors and spoke particularly highly of Screen West, and both GS and LB thought that the relationship has floated FTI's boat in a big way and that we - as FTI financial members - should talk 'em up whenever able. Duly noted.

Then he mentioned that 2011 will be FTI's 40th anniversary and an little bubble of antici
Pation grew in the bellies of the people in the cinema. Reminisces of the 30th gave some inkling of a time long ago being only yesterday.

Then we watched some snippets of films. I  liked My Nan and the Yandi because I always enjoy Deadly Yarns. They make me feel included in a long oral history, just by watching it, which I value.

Afterwards were nibbles and shoulder-rubs. Here are some pictures. All in all it was quite entertaining, for an AGM.




Ebbie Williams, Cassie Rowe (board) and Liz Sward (Screen West).



David Smith (board), Antonio Corea.

Chris James (board) and Don - Honorary Life Member of FTI.

No comments:

Post a Comment