Friday, July 16, 2010

Revelation Film Fest Animation Showcase

Animations shown:
"7x3", "An Insidious Intrusion", "The Lost Thing", "Petrol Can Rider", "Hog", "Cockroach", "Nest of Skeletons" and others.

Worthy of mention in a positive light is "Petrol Can Rider". Even though I didn't follow it all the way I loved the trad-animation style - pencil and paper.

"An Insidious Intrusion" and "Nest of Skeletons" were thematically linked stop-motion episodes, and followed the lives of a early-human style hunters - albeit insect sized skeletal with a hive - and wings. The sound scape was so-so, but overall the entertainment value was good. Perhaps a bit serious for such a whimsy - but thats just personal taste.

The outstanding work I thought was "The Lost Thing", "Hog" and "Cockroach". All had good story-telling, characterisations and 3D animation. "The Lost Thing" I have been very eager to see, and aside from a certain lightness to the 3D -almost floaty I thought - I loved it. "Hog" was by contrast weighty, with an entertaining if dark story, and funny. "Cockroach" was an excellent live-action/3D mix, funny and well executed.

No comments:

Post a Comment