Sunday, October 3, 2010

24 Comic Day, Perth

Why comics? Comics are often cited as good reference material for animators - each drawing is a story telling pose -  like the initial breaking down of an animated sequence into key shots and poses to tell the story the best way possible.


The last day since 10am Saturday morning was drawing flat out with 20 or so comic compatriots. I'm very impressed by the quality of work. There were alot of laughs to be had from reading the work.  I thoroughly enjoyed the process and meeting a bunch of really cool and nice people. Today I am totally shattered, and will very much enjoy some sleep, soon... ish.

My comic does not contain many laughs. By contrast it is a existentialist tragedy - but I got alot of laughs during the creative process :) I liked writing the story and plotting it out - I was inspired mostly by
a) The FTI building itself (featured on page 2). Once this was locked in the other pieces fell into place.
b) Books -  Holy Blood and the Holy Grail , all about the history of the knights templar, with lots of secrets hidden for centuries in it, and Umberto Eco's Focault's Pendulum, a great book and finally
c) A news article I heard about a discovered underground passageway between an old monastery and a nunnery.

 Also I enjoyed nutting out the arc of the story and using elements to help build it - eg repetition, pacing, and reveals. Also the intentional use of graphic elements to represent different things - e.g. gradients represent the 15th Century. It is so short it all flies by and you could miss it all, but it's there.
Like all the comics on 24 Comic Day, the story was created on the day, with no preparation.
If you read it I would like to hear your thoughts on it - just reply to this post :)
My entry is here.

3 comments:

  1. Hey Ushy,
    Here's my thoughts:

    I love the pictures, especially some of the sequence ones like the candle and the lights in the tunnel. The sense of urgency is very clear, and I like how many images speak for themselves without the need for words to explain them.

    I couldn't immediately tell with the first picture that they were surrounded by an army so I was bit confused at first. I also didn't understand the significance of some of the pictures (like the ones on the third page, with the nuns, the boy who will become a man, etc) but that could just be due to my lack of knowledge about the knights templar.

    I found the modern images a lot easier to follow than the ones set in the past, probably because there were only two characters. I wasn't sure if Brother John was the original hooded man, or if he was the artist, so maybe defining these characters would make it easier to follow. I also wasn't sure if his job was simply to get the work into the tunnels, and therefore had succeeded, or if he was supposed to have escaped.

    Ok that is all for now.
    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Sari. Great advice there. I made some simple changes, and hopefully thats enough to make it read a bit straighter :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ush, the first picture is deffinitely easier to tell there's an army there. I'm not sure what else you changed but it was easier to follow this time round.
    Oh I just noticed you put on that third page the captions of where they were, so that makes more sense now too. :)

    ReplyDelete